The Challenge We Set
To develop a high performance skincare and recovery products with highest amount of natural ingredients possible. Our chamois cream has 8 natural ingredients, many found in expensive body butters, our recovery products are 100% natural!
- Natural: Naturally occurring without modification. Examples are butters like shea, or cocoa as well as pressed oils and essential oils
- Naturally Derived: A entire family of compounds that are derived from plant based oils such as corn, palm, and coconut that undergo some processing
- Functional Ingredient: Some of these ingredients function to stabilize the formulation, while others like preservatives are required to prevent mold, bacteria and yeast formation. (Note: there are good preservatives and there are ones to avoid - see below)
UNDRBUDR Chamois Cream is loaded with natural ingredients, has some ingredients that are naturally derived and limits functional ingredients like preservatives to those essentially needed. This is typical with water based emulsions like all moisturizers. Muscle Budr is 100% natural and contains no preservatives.
It's important to consider ingredients as a percentage of the total volume. Many anti-chafe products have the obligatory “contains aloe” or “enriched with vitamins” but read the fine print, these are usually a very small percent of the total. By volume UNDBUDR is packed with botanicals with all functional ingredients being natural, organic or naturally derived. These ingredients work together to prevent chafing by reducing friction, deeply conditioning, and managing moisture.
Most anti-chafe formulations fall into one of the following categories:
Waxed based : Wax sticks, balms and salves are great for preventing toe blisters, but not for areas sensitive to cyclists. The barrier they create can be problematic to sensitive skin; clogging pores, causing rashes and other issues
Mineral Oil Based: Many of the original anti-chafe creams use mineral oil, an inexpensive byproduct of refining crude oil. These formulations create a messy oil slick, with performance decreasing over time as moisture increases
Chemical/Synthetic based: Some go all-in on chemicals. They may highlight one or two natural extracts but read the fine print, by volume these formulations are mostly synthetic
So why do so many use oil by-products, chemicals or waxes?
- Chemicals, mineral oils and waxes are inexpensive and are used to cut costs
- These ingredients have a near indefinite shelf life, suppliers can produce huge batches and store for years
- Natural ingredients cost more due to their intrinsic properties and special processing needs
UNDRBUDR chooses ingredients that perform and are people friendly
Our key natural ingredients include:
- Aloe Leaf Juice
- Cocoa Seed Butter
- Coconut Oil
- Jojoba Seed Oil
- Safflower Seed Oil
- Shea Butter
- Vitamin E
With Female Cyclists in Mind
From bike geometry to clothing and gear, until recently women seemed to have been an afterthought. Not at UNDRBUDR! From day 1 we consider the female cyclists. We included women in our test team and leveraged decades of best practices from health conscious cosmetic suppliers. Our nature-inspired formula has no harsh chemicals, it's gentle as well as pH balanced, but there are other perks:
- No parabens, phthalates, harsh chemicals or fragrances
- Naturally enriched formula ultra-conditions your skin & feels like a spa treatment
- Reduces irritation associated with razor burn.
- Fun Fact: Our focus group even reported a significant reduction of ingrown hair. Wait - What?!!!
A Word About Preservatives
They're in your charcuterie, wine or that soda at the finish line. We use the same naturally identical preservatives to prevent mold, yeast and bacteria as in many of the things you eat and drink. These are necessary, especially with water based formulations that are packed with natural ingredients. We do not use older generation preservatives like parabens which are associated with health issues.
Naturally derived ingredients include:
- Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride: Not as scary as it sounds, derived directly from coconut oil and glycerin (think soap). Quite often found in lipstick or lip balm
- Propanediol: Derived from corn sugar, it is a better alternative than some synthetics like propylene glycol. Did you know that propanediol is commonly used in alternative, "healthy deodorants"?
- Cetyl and Cetearyl Alcohol: Derived from coconut or palm oil, this ingredient is commonly found in sunscreen and lotions
Functional Ingredients and Preservatives
By volume these have the lowest % in our formulation. Although chemically derived, we use the most inert, people friendly possible, but they are needed to stabilize our formulation and preserve. Check back soon as this is an area where we intent to constantly improve.
All Muscle Budr formulations ar 100% natural, using direct plant derived oils, butters and essential oils. Detail for each product can be found on our product page. Our base formula for all Muscle Budr massage oils and salves consists of infused oil with Arnica and Comfrey. Unlike other suppliers that buy pre formulated blends, UNDRBUDR direct sources these raw ingredients and has developed a proprietary infusion process to extract the maximum concentration of active ingredients for pain and inflammation.